Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Remembrance

Don Herbert, more popularly known as "Mr. Wizard" died today at the age of 89.

I am not a science person by ANY means, but I always enjoyed watching his show as he not only introduced me to the joys of science, he introduced generation after generation of young viewers to the joys of science as well, and he will be missed...
Perfect Tommy: Emilio Lizardo. Wasn't he on TV once?
Buckaroo Banzai: You're thinking of Mr. Wizard.
Reno: Emilio Lizardo is a top scientist, dummkopf.
Perfect Tommy: So was Mr. Wizard.
- from The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

How true Perfect Tommy... how true...

Now let's all go freeze a superball in liquid nitrogen and smash it with a hammer, just for old times sake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said yesterday, I loved Mr. Wizard. He always talked to the kids like adults, never talked down to them, and you could tell he just wanted you to learn something cool. I always understood things I never would've understood elsewhere, just because he made it seem so simple. He was great. I can't wait to watch the clip you posted when I get home.

Anonymous said...

OMG I really am so sad! I'll never forget the episode where he put his hand in water without it getting wet. Some sort of sprinkly powder on the top that clings to your hand, but whatever.

I'll always love you Mr. Wizard!